Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2020-05-07 04:02:28

TwoWatches
Contributor

[solved] Install Proxmark3 RDV4 on Raspberry Pi4 usb and Bluetooth

I am writing this to help others who would like to install Proxmark3 RDV4 on Raspberry Pi4 over usb as well as Bluetooth. Having gone through a lesson in mental gymnastics I thought I would put this recipe out there to save time for someone else who’d like to accomplish this.

Because there are different forks for Proxmark3 it can get a bit confusing researching the internet to get this done. This microblog will hopefully get you on the right track. I will also preface this by saying that many of these instructions are in fact in the instructions so this is not original work but rather a workflow that will get the job done right the first time around.

Obviously you will need a properly installed BlueShark Bluetooth battery pack for the Bluetooth aspects.

Assuming the above here’s what you need to do:

1) collect all the dependancies

Is your system up to date?

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends git ca-certificates build-essential
pkg-config \ libreadline-dev gcc-arm-none-eabi libnewlib-dev qtbase5-dev libbluetooth-dev

2) Clone RPG repository

sudo git clone https://github.com/RfidResearchGroup/proxmark3.git

cd proxmark3

sudo git pull

3) Plug in usb connection attached to proxmark3 RDV4 to test connection and get address

sudo dmesg | grep -i usb

You should have screen output that will give you a usb address of the device:

usb 2-1.2: Product: PM3
usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: proxmark.org
cdc_acm 2-1.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Note the ttyACMx

Check for proper access rights with the the following:

[ -r /dev/ttyACM0 ] && [ -w /dev/ttyACM0 ] && echo ok

It should return ok

4) Enable bluetooth option for compiling

cd proxmark3
       sudo nano Makefile.platform.sample

Uncomment, remove #, in front of PLATFORM_EXTRAS=BTADDON

Cntl+o and save file as Makefile.platform

5) Compile

make clean && make all

Optional (will allow you to run pm3 outside of the client sub folder) I recommend this and was helpful for flashing

make install

6) Flash bootloader and firmware use the following though there are other options, use correct ttyACM from above

proxmark3 ttyACM0 --flash --unlock-bootloader --image bootrom/obj/bootrom.elf
       proxmark3 ttyACM0 --flash --image armsrc/obj/fullimage.elf

Remember to use the correct ttyACM0 port yours may not end in 0

7) Pair your RVD4 using bluetooth

Turn on the bluetooth on your RDVR, the usb cable can still be connected but ok to remove it too.

bluetoothctl

You will see something like this

bluetoothctl
Agent registered
[bluetooth]#

power on
     scan on

Look for something like this:

20:19:08:01:12:58 PM3_RDV4.0

scan off       
      pair [20:19:08:01:12:58]

Use your correct MAC address then enter 1234 when prompted for password. It’s normal to get a message that this device has no services.

8) Ways to call it for use

If you did make install then you can use “pm3” to start usb or bluetooth:

pm3

This will look on ttyACMx and or bluetooth for your RVDR. Alternatively you can call “proxmark3” and specify a port

proxmark3 bt:20:19:08:01:12:58

proxmark3 /dev/ttyACM0

If you did not do “make install” then call it like this from the client directory in /proxmark3

cd proxmark3/client
      ./proxmark3 /dev/ttyACM0
      ./proxmark3 bt:20:19:08:01:12:58

In conclusion the above recipe is meant for an administrative user with a Pi4. There are other options and searching github RfidResearchGroup/proxmark3 is a more comprehensive approach.

Cheers!

Last edited by TwoWatches (2020-05-07 16:39:42)

#2 2020-05-07 06:26:14

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: [solved] Install Proxmark3 RDV4 on Raspberry Pi4 usb and Bluetooth

If you set the accessrights correct, you don't have to sudo when running the pm3 client.
You can also use the empowered shellscripts instead of calling the client direct.  It will in most cases find a serial port to your device.

All of these instructions,  is found in the blue shark manual,  see ref for link.

make accessrights
(logout / re-login)

./pm3 --list
./pm3

Ref:
https://github.com/RfidResearchGroup/pr … ual_v10.md

#3 2020-08-28 10:39:23

Sidpick
Contributor

Many thanks for this post. I’m just about to try it. Slightly worried about the modem manager information on the github page. Will I still need to disable this prior to following this tutorial? I tried to connect the device last night to my raspberry Pi 4 and the bluetooth connection said “no useable applications for this device’’ (blueshark module installed and turned on” so it saw it, just could not do anything with it.

Kind of running before I can walk!
Thanks in advance
Sid

#4 2020-08-28 14:49:25

TwoWatches
Contributor

I recall that but I believe once you go through the instructions it will all come together. Good luck it’s a great project!

#5 2020-08-28 16:24:19

Sidpick
Contributor

Cheers TwoWatches. I’m going to go through all the modem checks first, see if I can disable it and re-enable it before I try even connecting the proxmark 3. I’ve got the chameleon tiny too, that I’m going to try and connect up to see whats going on with that. Two buttons and I can’t even work that out yet. Thought it was just A to select Chanel and then B to copy. A just scrolls through channels one way and B just scrolls through the other way. Sure once its connected up and possibly updated that it’ll all make sense. I’m excited to start work and thanks again for your post.

Board footer