Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2020-01-01 23:33:41

iNeedHelpX
Contributor

cheap chinese rdv4 not the most reliable for showing up

so I bought one of these things from aliExpress. Cheap thrills.

I have windows and I have mac. I couldn't get it to show up properly on mac so here I am trying this on my windows machine. Anyhow, I got it up and running with the regular proxmark firmware and it will show up reliably in device manager. However, I decided to go with iceman fork and this is when things get a bit sketchy...

often times it will come up in device manager as universal unknown usb (or something like that). Interestingly if I reset the computer with the device still plugged in, it will show up properly as Proxmark3 in device manager. everything will work fine.

Heres what happens when I run hw version
proxmark3.jpg

#2 2020-01-02 00:09:52

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: cheap chinese rdv4 not the most reliable for showing up

try another usb cable?  Different usb port?  Its not much of firmware to blame when it comes to bad hardware clones.  Sometimes they work good, sometimes you get what you paid for.

#3 2020-01-02 09:10:37

iNeedHelpX
Contributor

iceman wrote:

try another usb cable?  Different usb port?  Its not much of firmware to blame when it comes to bad hardware clones.  Sometimes they work good, sometimes you get what you paid for.

Yup and yup smile. interestingly out of dozens of USB cables I have only two of them seem to do the trick for this device. I think I might have to break down and buy an actual real proxmark...this stuff is very interesting and I have cards I need to know about.

So I guess this posting is more of a warning to others- don't rely on these sketchy cheap things!

#4 2020-01-02 10:14:42

iceman
Administrator
Website

[moved]

#5 2021-12-24 14:09:07

kosgguy
Contributor

Yes, if you bought from aliexpress it is easy to hit chargeback bro. Just open a dispute and tell that your device doesn't work.
But here we cannot do much for you because your device is not the authentic or any well-known clone.

Thanks

#6 2022-03-04 04:35:32

Flc
Contributor

Iv also looked at the Proxmark 3 RDV4 on aliexpress and have you seen the prices of them  ?
There actually around the same price as an original.
So with out seeing the back of the pcb board its hard to tell if its a real of clone.

Board footer