Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2009-09-17 21:45:12

jonor
Contributor

More information of proxmark3

Hi to all,

this is my first message on this forum. I would like to buy a proxmark3, but before I need more information on it. Is it possible to use it without a computer? For example for sniff data between reader and tag, where are stored the data? Is there someone make an interface with an uC as AVR or PIC? I have a unknow card, I know it works at 13.56MHz but I don't know the protocol, proxymark3 can help me to recognize it?

Sorry for my question's newbie!
Thank you very much for the response

#2 2009-09-17 21:57:52

John
Contributor

Re: More information of proxmark3

From what i understand - it IS possible to use a proxmark as a capture/replay device without a laptop - however i'm not sure it will work for all cards (such as crypto HID cards)

The data would be stored on the device - but you couldn't take it back to your laptop and use it as that would require unplugging the USB battery you had previously plugged in, and plugging it in to a laptop. As soon as the power goes off, i imagine the memory is wiped. I have never tested this so don't take my word as fact!

As for gaining a better understanding of the protocol - my experience has shown me that while the 125Mhz prox cards are all fairly un-standardized, the 13Ghz cards are.

You would probably be better off buying a cheap 13Ghz reader, and using RFIDIOt to determine if it's a common protocol, and from there if it's possible to clone.

Having said that - the proxmark is definitely capable of sniffing and determining the protocol (if you are), so it couldn't hurt smile

#3 2009-09-17 22:49:17

jonor
Contributor

Is it possible to connect the proxmark3 to a device USB OTG? There are some smartphone has a USB OTG, so I think with a program on the OS of smartphone I can communicate with the proxmark3.

#4 2009-09-17 23:01:34

henryk
Contributor

John wrote:

As soon as the power goes off, i imagine the memory is wiped.

Yes, the currently implemented stand-alone mode only stores in RAM so that gets lost when the power is turned off. However, it *is* possible to write to flash, it's just not implemented currently.

jonor wrote:

Is it possible to connect the proxmark3 to a device USB OTG?

No.

#5 2009-09-18 08:13:03

jonor
Contributor

In this video http://www.ru.nl/ds/research/rfid/ I see a proxmark3 or is it wrong? It is detach from the power and the boy read data from it. Maybe they use a modified version of firmware which write data in the flash.

#6 2009-09-18 08:44:32

jonor
Contributor

On the shop online of proxcat, in the description I can see:

* Operate in standalone mode without a PC (USB battery required)

#7 2009-09-18 13:14:46

John
Contributor

That certainly does look like a proxmark - however he also seems to be getting data back from it in real-time.
He has to be using a modified firmware to do this.

#8 2009-09-18 16:22:16

henryk
Contributor

John wrote:

That certainly does look like a proxmark - however he also seems to be getting data back from it in real-time.
He has to be using a modified firmware to do this.

Don't believe everything you see in a staged demonstrational video. smile The point of the video would be just as valid if he had a laptop connected to the proxmark at all times, it just wouldn't be so photogenic.

#9 2009-09-18 22:46:32

John
Contributor

Hehehe, very good point Henryk =P
I doubted that he could clone the card as fast as he did, but for some reason I just accepted everything else was fact.
Probibly because I just came out of a verbal reasoning exam hmm

#10 2009-09-19 13:12:49

jonor
Contributor

So this is a fake video. Why is it not possibile to connect the proxmark3 to device USB OTG? The PIC PIC24FJ256GB1 has USB OTG. Maybe is better to modify the firmware and write data to eeprom.

#11 2009-09-19 17:12:24

rule

Hey guys,

The video we made was actual real-material, but when shooting our movie we were more demonstrating the principle.
On the proxmark we have an embedded firmware which can run standalone (attached to a USB powersource or battery).
It was flashed with the correct key and could dump the tag in someones back-pocket within <100ms.
The memory we dumped was emulated by our proxmark-firmware. Flashing this key+data back to a blank card is something we used the PC for in the movie, but this also possible in the proxmark firmware itself by pressing the button.

The system did not check the UID. It would only authenticate and read some peace of memory.
But using the proxmark self as an emulator, the UID isn't a problem at all of course wink

Cheers,

Roel

#12 2009-09-19 18:02:07

henryk
Contributor

jonor wrote:

Why is it not possibile to connect the proxmark3 to device USB OTG?

Because the AT91SAM7 does neither have OTG capability nor USB host capability. Anyway, writing to flash is rather simple anyway, there's just not yet any infrastructure to do that. The only real catch is that the code that writes to flash needs to execute from RAM and no concurrent flash accesses must be performed. The second point was slightly problematic in other projects (e.g. the OpenBeacon USB project, which uses the same ARM microcontroller, has an implementation of some environment data in flash) but should be dead simple in the current proxmark firmware since there is no concurrency anyway. The first point can be had by marking the code __attribute__((section(".data"))).

#13 2009-09-19 18:58:03

jonor
Contributor

Thank you roel for your informations. I read all pdf in that page. Why don't you use a proxmark3 for attack man in the middle? I see your Ghost Device the firmware is avaiable for download?

#14 2009-09-19 19:11:39

jonor
Contributor

Thank you henryk, so a device USB OTG can't became a USB Host, but only a USB device and USB OTG with another USB OTG device. I begin to study the code of proxmark3.

Board footer