Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2009-07-12 09:55:11

samy
Contributor
Website

My portable proxmark3 setup

Hey guys,

I received a nice little portable USB power source today, thanks to duran97 for pointing me to the device, and made the proxmark3 and antennas (125khz + 13.56mhz) in a nice little portable setup.

It's about the width, length and height of an Altoids tin can, just a little bit wider.

I wrapped the proxmark3 in a protective baseball card cover, similar to my Ken Griffey Jr. card. That will be worth something someday...it will help me afford the proxmark8 when I'm older. I cut holes out of the card so that the proxmark3 would fit in nicely, allow the JTAG connector out, allow the relay to breathe, and allow the button to be easily pressed. Everything else is covered nicely. Two holes for what look like capacitors, as well.

I then use another card holder with a hirose USB cable as both my HF and LF antenna. I use the black/green cables as HF and I connected the LF antenna (purchased from proxmark3.com) to the other two wires. I then fit it in the baseball card holder (had to cut a hole into the card to fit it all in, then taped it all up). Taped up the entire thing with electric tape to get some symmetry and superglued some of the wires on the inside so they don't move around. It's very thin and also a small form factor, about the width and length of an Altoids tin.

The battery is a lithium ion battery with a USB output up to 700ma. Only $20, available from http://www.radioshack.com/product/index … ab=summary

Here are some photos -- you will see an Altoids can for comparison

Here is everything (antenna on bottom, battery in middle, pm3 on top)
pm3_all.jpg

My man Ken!
pm3_kgj.jpg

pm3_1.jpg
pm3_2.jpg
pm3_3.jpg
pm3_antenna.jpg

Last edited by samy (2009-07-12 09:56:15)

#2 2009-07-12 16:33:48

cptnslick

Re: My portable proxmark3 setup

Haha That's great.  I basically did the same thing except I stuck mine into a blackberry holster. I used the same battery, wrapped the antenna in some glossy paper, and put the board into a static bag. It works out great and the battery lasts a long time.

#3 2009-07-12 18:01:53

samy
Contributor
Website

Sweet! Do you keep the antenna out? Can you show a pic of your setup normally?

Good idea with the BB holster...I should look for one

#4 2009-07-12 18:35:21

samy
Contributor
Website

Also, how do you keep the pm3 protected? I use a sturdy card holder but that only protects it so much. I wouldn't feel comfortable if i dropped it (again) in just that. I would use an altoids can but I can't fit the rest in there, and I want to make sure I have access to the LEDs, button, and all connectors.

#5 2009-07-13 00:56:45

d18c7db
Contributor

Actually on the subject of enclosures, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm sort of redesigning the PM3 and while keeping the same format (credit card size roughly) is there anything out there that's widely and easily available.

Basically something that wouldn't need a lot of extra work (cutting, moulding, etc) just screw the PCB to internal posts and maybe drill a couple of small holes for connectors and you're done.

Can be metal of plastic, ideally with at least one surface being transparent so an LCD can bee seen through it. Dimensions not much bigger than about 90x60x20 mm. I sort of looked at the SparkFun enclosure but it's a little too big and they have their logo plastered all over the flat surface 08603-03-L.jpg

#6 2009-07-13 08:32:22

duran97
Contributor

I've not found an enclosure that would work easily with existing posts.  I've put my one in a plastic enclosure through:

- mounting using M2 nuts and bolts (using the two mounting holes on the PCB), with a thin piece of polystrene between the PCB and plastic enclosure
- mounting the antennas on the outside of the plastic enclosure (with the cables going through holes in the box)
- drilling a hole in the top so I could reach the button (if needed)
- removing half of the end (which is removable) so that the USB can be reached.

There's room inside for a battery (similar to Samy).

Sorry all a bit hard to envisage, but that allowed something quick to be mocked up using stuff from jaycar (shop selling electronics & bits) and nuts and bolts from a model shop - damn hard to find M2 nuts.   At the moment it's about 50% bigger than the pcb by length, and a little wider, but that's something to work on for version 2.

#7 2009-07-13 15:26:44

rleroy
Contributor

Samy: Nice work Samy and thanks for sharing your setup! I never thought about making the proxmark3 portable. I do my business with the laptop in the bag, and with a USB wire hanging from the bag attached to the pm3. Not very stealthy but it works!

Duran97: We want to see some pictures! ;-)

#8 2009-07-13 18:47:21

adam@algroup.co.uk
Contributor
Website

Mine's in one of these, and Farnell have outlets almost everywhere so should be easy to get hold of:

http://uk.farnell.com/hammond/1553btbub … dp/1511165

It needs a small hole drilling for access to the button but it's clear so you can see the LEDs and it's got nice grippy rubber sides for when you're running away covered in sweat and/or blood... =:O

proxmark case

#9 2009-07-13 19:08:20

samy
Contributor
Website

Adam, that's a beautiful antenna. Dr. Seuss would be proud

#10 2010-01-30 22:35:25

proxpunk

Jonathan made the case below from a thick plastic piece, which was milled to fit the board, an antenna and a couple of batteries. A thinner plastic piece was screwed in as a cover. This case was for an older proxmark board but is really slick and sexy me thinks.

Unfortunately I do not have a milling machine handy or milling skillz. Does anyone know a company, where you can place online orders to have this sort of work done to make a  proxmark milled case without breaking the bank?

I guess there are local companies where I live that could do this sort of work but I have no clue what a reasonable price would be for making a case like this ...

See pics below from http://cq.cx/prox.pl.

prox-milling-plastics.jpg
prox-unassembled.jpg
prox-assembled-standing.jpg

#11 2010-05-05 17:48:28

mrbrt

heya

I'm still waiting on my pm3, usps takes it's sweet ass time, but I've been working on making it into a portable unit. I used the board dimensions from the eagle files and am making an enclosure out of plexiglass that will be milled out.   
Material cost to me was $70 for a giant sheet of plastic.
I have access to a milling machine, so I have no idea of what it would cost in terms of labour, but the parts should be next to nothing unless you go with a fancy plastic.
proxpunk, I'll post up pics of my finished setup when it comes in.

#12 2010-06-23 01:18:00

maxpowel

If anyone wants an usb battery this could be useful http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3060
I bought one of this wink

Board footer