Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2013-05-09 11:49:16

hlange

How to check type of unknown card

Hello,
in the documentation I've followed the instructions how to check if a card is lf or hf. But after this check there are a plenty of card types left. Is there a good way how to find out what specific type the card is? Are there any standard procedures I can go through?

I'm a newbie in RFID. I'll be happy for any kind of help. Link for HowTos or Docs are nice, too.

Thanks for your help.

Harald

#2 2013-05-09 12:59:58

o0o0o0o
Contributor

Re: How to check type of unknown card

You can start by posting a picture of your card (both sides)
And if you can, open it and post a picture of what is inside (chip+antenna)

#3 2013-05-09 16:53:32

hlange

Ok, thanks.
So there is no way to check the card type by reading raw data samples at look at the plot? Or something similar?

#4 2013-06-25 19:57:12

marshmellow
Contributor

for HF you can try the different Reader functions (hf 14a reader which will attempt to identify a iso14443a chip)

for LF you can do a lf read - data samples 12000 - and then attempt a demodulate depending on what type you suspect it is.  if lf indalademod works then it is likely a form of indala (or at least psk encoded).  if lf hid demod gives the expected output then it is an hid compatible card. 
if all else fails you can do a data plot after data samples and look at the wave form to try to identify the modulation - and/or the repeating bit pattern.

LF cards are usually dumb, as in they don't authenticate or tell the reader what they are.  they just spew radio waves when powered.

If you are stumped then you can post your trace or wave plot here for help decoding.

Board footer