Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2013-02-28 15:52:21

o0o0o0o
Contributor

What in your opinion is the best access control security available....

What in your opinion is the best access control security available now or in a near future ?

I believe that nowadays, "best" means secure and not too expensive.

I got a few ideas on my own :
- Mifare DESfire EV1
- a fingerprint only reader
- a fingerprint + PIN + access card reader
- any 125 Khz reader with cards sending unique UIDs without any encryption involved (but with a bad ass security guard dog with 3 heads)
- reader with fingerprint + PIN + Access card + face recognition + ADN recognition (this kind of reader takes a tiny sample of your blood...) and you need to wait 5 minute for the whole process to be complete.

I also believe that "best" means secure at the moment and that can be easily updated if a weakness has been discovered. But does this even exist ?

Last edited by o0o0o0o (2013-02-28 15:54:08)

#2 2013-02-28 18:21:36

C0Y0-Ck3r
Contributor

Re: What in your opinion is the best access control security available....

A system that have the three in one authentication system (data on card + DB + fingerprint(client's signature...)) for me...

#3 2013-02-28 22:47:27

0xFFFF
Administrator

Re: What in your opinion is the best access control security available....

Two factor authentication is the most secure and best compromise when dealing with physical access. Without going over the top, a Mifare DESfire (or greater) coupled with a PIN shuffling keypad is enough. Going beyond this point is costly and a waste of time. Whatever it is you're protecting, there are easier ways of getting around access control systems at this point.
Market leading bio-metric readers and similar devices are faced with technical challenges that make some real world applications difficult or even impossible. Bio-metric should only be used to compliment the existing infrastructure. To get an idea of what is OK for access control, check out L1ID.
Just adding to what C0Y0-Ck3r posted earlier - In an ideal world, it would be great if access control systems read the UID, card data and another block. Many systems today still use legacy communication methods between the reader and the access control module.

Board footer