Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2008-10-28 13:43:48

rule

What is the difference between the proxmark and the OpenPCD/OpenPICC

• One of the main differences is that the proxmark is a (OpenPCD and OpenPICC) in one! It can play as reader, but also as tag.

• A second difference is, it does not use any modulation chip from a commercial company. The OpenPCD uses this to modulate its messages. While this is convenient to do, it also limits you to sending malicious messages (incorrect modulation/frames/parity bits)

• It can sniff/eavesdrop/snoop the communication of the reader and the tag at the same time.

• The modulation can be done for 125khz and 13.56Mhz, because of the FPGA, in theory every modulation can be used. It only needs the right software implementation. A proof is Gerhards implementation of the ISO14443-A protocol

• It is more expensive than the OpenPCD/OpenPICC. Together they cost around 200$. The Proxmark costs around 200-300$.

• Both are released under an open source license (GNU/GPL) and work on Windows and LINUX

• The current hardware design of the Proxmark is tested by many people (including myself). While the OpenPCD is working very good, the OpenPICC is still in (hardware) development stage, this may take some time before it is ready for "real" use.

Besides this all, I own a OpenPCD and OpenPICC myself and find them very nice. They have a very big community already and lot's of development is done in this field. If you want to do some simple tests, one of these devices will be good for you. If you want to do MORE and DEEPER investigation of protocols/modulation/security and unknown ciphers, the Proxmark is what you are looking for.

Board footer